A debonair gentleman showcases his meticulous attention to detail and his impeccable style by making refined, fashionable choices. You can tell a man is well-dressed when he is seen in a well-tailored suit, and he knows how to flawlessly match his tie with a striped shirt.
There are many types of ties that go with a striped shirt. The most common and safest options include solid-colored plain ties and subtly patterned ties. Strangely enough, striped ties can also be paired with striped shirts. On days when you are feeling a bit daring, you can also pick a tie with polka dots or paisleys to wear with your striped shirt.
With so many options, how do you know what’s right and what’s not? Well, that’s where we come in. This guide shares essential tips on how to effectively choose the right type and color tie with a striped shirt while highlighting the key do’s and don’ts to achieve that polished and stylish formal look.
4 Types of Ties That Are A Winning Combination When Paired With Striped Shirts
Picking the right tie involves coordinating the colors and harmonizing patterns and stripes to enhance the visual appeal of your shirts. The wrong choice, however, can lead to some major clashing that can be an eyesore.
A badly paired tie will not undermine your overall outfit but will also serve as a distraction. Your outfit may turn heads but for all the wrong reasons.
We can’t have that, can we? For that reason, we are listing down some winning combinations of ties that can be worn with a striped shirt.
From vibrant solids to subtle patterns, we’ll give you options that will add to the appeal of your striped shirts instead of taking them away.
Whether you are preparing for a job interview or a formal event, or aiming to achieve poise and confidence in your everyday attire, mastering the art of pairing ties with striped shirts is a skill that you will not regret mastering.
Check out these other related posts:
You can never go wrong with a plain tie in solid color. This is particularly handy when you are in a hurry and don’t have time to match patterns and stripes with your shirt.
Note that there are some basic rules you need to follow when picking a solid-colored plain tie for your striped shirts. Remember these rules and you’ll never have to worry about choosing the wrong tie for your striped shirts again:
- The color of the tie should always be darker than the color of the shirt.
- To pick a color, pay attention to the stripes on your shirt, pick the colors in the stripes, and match that with your tie. For example, you have a white shirt with blue stripes on it. Pick the same blue colored tie to go with the shirt.
- If your shirt has multiple stripes of various colors, pick the dominant color, the one that stands out. Find a plain tie of that color and watch your ensemble elevate within seconds.
- Do not, under any circumstances, match the color of your tie with the base color of your shirt. Avoid this like a plague.
Patterned ties can be perfectly paired with striped shirts if it is done right. The key is to create a balance between the stripes and patterns so that the two complement each other instead of each of them fighting for attention.
Keeping that in mind, finding patterned ties that go well with a striped shirt can be a bit tricky unless you know the rules.
Once you develop an understanding of how pattern mixing works, you’ll know exactly what to look for in your wardrobe for the perfect pairing.
Here are some rules to remember:
- The color of your tie should complement the colors in your shirt. Again, look at the stripes, see which color stands out, and then pick a patterned tie of that color.
- The pattern on the tie should be larger or smaller than the stripes on the shirt. For instance, if you’re wearing a shirt with big stripes, pick a patterned tie with microdots on it, or invisible patterns. On the contrary, if your shirt has small stripes close to each other, pick a tie with polka dots or a large paisley pattern.
- A good thumb rule is to pair subtle stripes on the shirts with bold patterns and bold stripes on the shirt with subtle patterns in the tie.
This one may seem like a bit of a doozy, but fashionistas, designers, and even GQ would agree that striped shirts can be paired with stripes. There’s only one condition though, you should know how to pick the right kind of striped tie to go with your shirt.
If you’re not careful, your entire stripey outfit can make people uneasy. Here are some simple rules to keep in mind:
- The stripes on the shirt and the tie aren’t supposed to be twinning but rather contrasting. If your shirt has big, bold awning stripes, pick a tie with pencil stripes.
- You can also contrast the stripes in your shirt with the stripes in your tie by choosing different orientations. Vertical stripes in the shirt go well with diagonal stripes in your tie.
- Another clever way to create a visual distinction between your tie and your shirt is to vary the scales. If the stripes are thick in your tie, pick a shirt with stripes that has a smaller width and size.
- While the stripes should be contrasting your shirt and your tie, the colors must harmonize together. You can do this by making sure that there’s at least one color that is shared by both clothing articles.
- The rules on colors aren’t hard and fast. If you find a tie that does not share any color with your shirt but still complements it nicely, go with it. A good example is a shirt with a white base and light pink shadow stripes. This shirt will elevate in style when paired with a navy-blue pinstripe tie.
Technically, polka dot ties are classified as patterned ties, but they have a lot of potential and style to not be discussed separately. If you have polka dot ties in your wardrobe, contrast them with the color of your striped shirts. Also, make sure that the scale and the direction vary. Vertical pencil stripes on the shirt will go with either larger or smaller diagonal polka dots on your tie.
4 Top Tips For Pairing Ties With Striped Shirts
The art of pairing ties with striped shirts is a balance of style and personal expression. While classic combinations and contrasting colors can create a sophisticated look, don’t be afraid to explore your own unique fashion choices.
From solid ties for a timeless appeal to patterned options for a bold statement, the possibilities for pairing ties with striped shirts are endless. However, certain tips can help make the process of elimination simpler.
- Always remember to consider the occasion, the scale of patterns, and the color of your striped shirt before deciding on what tie.
- The tie and shirt color should always complement one another.
- If you are wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, always make sure the scale of the stripes is different.
- When pairing striped shirts with patterned ties, choose a small pattern and strong base color tie for a shirt with pinstripes and a geometric tie with spaced-out patterns for shirts with broad stripes.
By experimenting with different combinations, you can elevate your striped shirt outfits and showcase your individuality.
Remember, fashion rules can be flexible, and personal style plays an important role in pairing ties with striped shirts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Maintain a Balanced Color Contrast between My Tie and Striped Shirt?
To maintain a balanced color contrast between your tie and striped shirt, consider the color wheel. Go for complementary tones that are facing each other on the wheel.
For example, pair a bright green striped shirt with a complementary mauve pink tie. This creates a visually pleasing contrast while making sure that the colors are cohesive and harmonize well together.
Is There Any Specific Type of Tie Knot That Is More Suitable for a Striped Shirt?
No, there isn’t. If you pick the right tie for your striped shirt, the knot doesn’t matter. That said, there are a few knots that bring better attention to the stripes on your tie, the Four-in-Hand knot being one of them. This knot creates a narrower and more asymmetrical knot, highlighting the stripes on the tie.
Can I Wear a Casual Tie with A Striped Shirt?
Of course, you can! This pairing is superior when you are going for a confident, effortlessly stylish, and more relaxed look. It says that you are stylish enough to have some variety in your wardrobe, confident in your styling ability, and possess that nonchalant, relaxed persona towards which people gravitate.
How do I Pick a Dark Tie When my Shirt is Also in a Dark Color?
The good thing about fashion is that you can break the rules and still appear on top of your fashion game. The ‘tie should be darker than the shirt’ is a loose guideline meant to help beginners. Over time, you will learn that when you are dealing with a dark-colored shirt, you can always contrast it with a lighter shade of tie.
Nothing works better on a pitch-black shirt than a bright pink tie. The same goes for a dark burgundy shirt and a gray tie.
Final Thoughts on What Type of Tie Goes with A Striped Shirt
Whether you opt for a traditional or unconventional approach, embrace your style, and have fun creating eye-catching ensembles that set you apart from the rest of the crowd. Whether it is a formal or business casual look you are going for, we hope our tips and recommendations have provided you with all the information you need to make the right call and look your best!
Samoel Ovanessian is the founder and creator of StylishAlpha.com – a website dedicated to men’s fashion. As a proud owner of more than 200 ties, he loves digging through new clothing combinations for everyday use, formal events and even just for fun. You can read more about Samoel here.