A majority of guys are cool with the items they pair with their blazers. However, most do not really match the blazer and at times, the entire outfit looks a bit messy or tasteless. A blazer that is well-coordinated makes for an overall excellent look and a higher level of confidence to match.
So make sure that you know what blazer to wear with black pants, what shirt to wear underneath, and which other items to choose, since making the effort to match your outfits will get you plenty of style points. Here are some of the things you can do to get best outfit matches for your blazer.
Check out the Base Color
More often than not, the base color of a blazer with a design or pattern is often not considered. Stylish individuals often take this oft-ignored factor into consideration and are capable of boosting it to make an outfit whole.
If you want to wear a pair of pants with a charcoal color, a patterned blazer with a gray base color will further emphasize it. A majority of men’s blazers with great designs feature some inconspicuous factor that guys can highlight whether it’s the texture of the item, its color or some refined accent.
The clothing supplements the base color of the item so you can also freely highlight these accent colors with other articles or accessories. You can simply opt for dark socks and shoes or add a pop of vivid color by means of a bright colored tie as shown in the below picture.
Lights Colors are Great too
Men often wear pants with a darker color however, at times you need to get out of that rut and try colors that you rarely play with. Get singled out from the pack of dark pants by complementing a navy blue blazer with a pair of light grey-colored pants.
Wear a Blazer with Jeans
The blazer is a more chic and polished article of clothing compared to a sports jacket. A pair of blue jeans and a blazer calls for a minimalist look and this means you can easily play it up—you can dress down or up by means of using the right accessories as well.
The pair of jeans that you need to match to your blazer must include several dressier attributes which separate them from your rugged, casual jeans. The jeans must have a closer fit in areas like the crotch, waist and hips. They should not show any signs of slackening or sagging denim material.
The jeans must not include extra items like gear loops and cargo pockets. Cargo pants must never be worn with blazers. If possible, you can opt for jeans with contrast-color needlework. Ornamental needlework is also another creative plus.
In terms of color, jeans with a deep, dark color perfectly complement blazers on the lighter side of the navy shade. Or if you prefer, another different color blazer. Darker blue colors go well with bright ones like orange denim needlework. You can also choose to pair the jeans with more atypical hues of chocolate brown or grey blazers.
Denim pants that come in lighter colors like white, grey or even red provide a nice contrast to a navy blue blazer. If you want to dress down a jeans and blazer ensemble, you can opt for lighter pants. One factor you need to avoid though is to steer clear of pairing the blazer with a color that is close to the pants but is not a genuine match.
A flawless match is not a good idea because it might appear like you are donning a blazer that has issues with its texture. Applying contrast between two dissimilar items is one key to achieving an excellent overall jeans and blazer pairing.
Types of Blazers & What They Match With
Here are some of the different types of blazers you need to know about and what works best with them.
- Linen = These blazers are lighter than most other options and great for warm weather. They are more informal and work best in beach/summer settings.
- Wool = These blazers can look dressier than others and are perfect for the colder months. They are far more formal than some of the other options and work nicely with corduroy or dark jeans.
- Cotton = While similar to linen, these blazers are slightly heavier but still breath nicely. They are most suitable for an office environment.
- Velvet = These are unique blazers that have a dynamic look. However, they’re more difficult to wear in general settings and should be saved for formal looks.
- Tweed = A tweed blazer is thick, formal, and has a retro aesthetic to them. The color options are more muted and less bombastic.
- Sigle-breasted = This particular type of blazer is casual with a singular column of buttons.
- Double-breasted = This blazer type has two sets of buttons with a wider overlap of one side to the other. Double-breasted is old-fashioned and much more formal than single-breasted.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions surrounding getting the perfect outfit matches for your blazer:
What are the best types of clothes to match with a blazer?
In our opinion, the two types of pants that go perfectly with a blazer are jeans and chinos. When it comes to shirts, a button-up is the way to go. While you can get away with a t-shirt and more casual pants, we think these options are better suited to wearing a blazer.
How can I style the blazer look?
Here are some tips for styling your blazer:
- The simple look utilizing a t-shirt and jeans. With a more muted blazer, you can wear it over a t-shirt that is either tucked or untucked. Cap it all off with simple jeans and some sneakers. It’s casual but with a bit more going on.
- Don’t be afraid to add a scarf. This is a great way to complete a fall or winter look.
- You can’t go wrong with chinos and dress shoes with a blazer. It’s a smart casual look that works for a lot of settings.
- Other accessories include things like a watch or going old school with a handkerchief. Something to make it more unique and styled to your sense of fashion.
Final Thoughts on the Perfect Outfit Matches for Your Blazer
Blazers are available in lots of brick and mortar stores and you can also find great brands online. They are available in a myriad of colors, styles and materials, so you will surely be able to find something that matches what you have in mind.
Keep these tips in mind and you will know what blazer to pair with black pants. Get a great blazer that has the right fit, pair it with the right items and you will gain style points in an instant.
Samoel Ovanessian is the founder and creator of StylishAlpha.com – a website dedicated to men’s fashion. As a proud owner of more than 200 ties, he loves digging through new clothing combinations for everyday use, formal events and even just for fun. You can read more about Samoel here.